Sunday, September 17, 2023

I Love You, But

 BY RICARDO RUIZ

Mi Jefita looks distraught,
oscillating between
her own history and my soul.

Hours, days, months with her knees
bent pidiéndole a la virgin
Que me cuidara as I fought in
Afghanistan.

Now she’s staring into hell's image,
Bouguereau's Dante and Virgil
groping with each spin of the
wooden spoon

as the red paste rises to a boil,
splattering her apron
with my childhood favorite meal.

I love him, he’s my best friend, the
one who slept on my couch

when I wanted to put my AR to
my mouth and be another dead vet.

I would have died for this country
because I believe it’s for me and
him.

I may have to marry him,
I tell the most important women in
my life.

                                 My Fiance
                                 My Mother

I will marry him,
cause we ain’t goin’ nowhere.

2,572 miles separate Moses Lake,
Washington,
my place of birth

and Colima, Mexico, his.
Neither of us had a role in how we
got here.

No comments: